The Changing Table Is Near Baby's Crib. Young Mom Is Sending Vital Message Of The Danger
Cailyn Finkel 3/1/2017
Beth Amison and her 7-month-old son, Maison, were inseparable. The two spent nearly every waking moment together - but one day things went horribly wrong.
The young mother walked into her son's room after what she thought was a peaceful night's sleep, to find something no mother should ever have to see....
The night before, Beth and her spouse tucked little Maison into his crib. The bumpers were in place, his head was in the right position, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But when the morning came, they walked into a room of pure heartbreak.
Beth shared what happened that terrible morning on Facebook:
The following quotes have been edited for the sake of understanding.
"On March 7, 2013 our world came falling down.... it's all a big blur.
I remember seeing the bumper had been pushed down in the corner, almost like it had been stood on."
The weird thing was, Maison had never stood up before in his life!
She continued to describe her heartbreaking discovery:
"There was a tall changing [station] next to the [crib] and Maison - our 7-month-old baby who couldn't even crawl - must have learned to stand up in the night, and reached over to a pocket in the changing stand where a handful of nappy sacks were."
Apparently, Maison grabbed one of the nappy sacks (plastic bags to wrap used diapers in) and got it stuck over his face. Her precious baby boy suffocated in the night and, by the time they realized what happened, it was too late.
After giving herself time to grieve and mourn the loss of her baby, Beth began to do some research on the dangers of nappy sacks.
What she found was startling:
"At first we thought this was just a freak accident.
And then we found out that actually at least 16 other babies died before Maison from suffocating on nappy sacks. Most were younger, some older.
Each story slightly different - a gust of wind blowing the bag across the room, a toddler helping look after [a] baby and leaving the bag [within] reach, a [cribside] changer, a changing bag and a walking baby.
The results are the same though: heartbroken families."
Since sharing Maison's story, Beth has received a ton of negative feedback and disturbingly mean comments. She has one thing to say to the people who judge her for her son's premature passing:
"We have had a lot of comments about 'how it's common sense' or 'it's our fault.' But, I know at least one person reading this doesn't know about the dangers.
If you have nappy sacks at home, where are they?
Are you 100% sure there are no random [hazards] down the sofa or lying around somewhere?"
Instead of jumping down her throat, Beth hopes that Maison can serve as a cautionary tale - even if one baby is saved from her warning, that'll make sharing the painful experience worth it.
If a friend or loved one has a small child at home, be sure to share this story on Facebook. Everyone should know the dangers surrounding nappy sacks!
Sources: Facebook/Maison's Memory / FB Image Credit: Facebook/Maison's Memory