Mom Shares Warning To Everyone After Popular YouTube Trend Leaves Daughter Covered In Burns
Rachel Sebastian 4/13/2017
One popular after school craft is the subject of investigation after a Massachusetts girl suffered third degree burns on her hands. The one ingredient that Kathleen Quinn used to make the concoction is thought to cause a chemical reaction, leaving her hands in blisters.
Even her mom, Siobhan, believed that the craft was safe, and had no idea it could be so harmful to her daughter. But, when Kathleen began crying in pain, Siobhan took action.
Many moms help their children make slime, the delightfully gooey substance that you can make in your own kitchen. Homemade slime is a widespread trend, and many school-aged kids make the seemingly fun goo.
Kathleen said her hands felt "hot and tingly" after she handled the slime. She mixed together Elmer's Glue, water and Borax cleaner together to make the concoction, which she says she made every day after school for a period of weeks.
The 11-year-old used rubber gloves when she was mixing the substance together, and says she only felt discomfort when she was handling the finished product.
Siobhan Quinn, Kathleen's mom, says her daughter yelped after discovering the third degree burns that were covering her small hands. Siobhan was confused about what had caused the reaction.
"She was like crying in pain, ‘My hands hurt, my hands hurt.' And we looked at them and they were covered in blisters."
Kathleen was rushed to the hospital, where medical staff examined her hands. They found second and third degree burns on her hands, and determined it was the Borax that caused the reaction.
Sodium borate, also known as the household cleaner Borax, is not safe for household craft projects, such as making slime. On the box, Borax notes it is an eye irritant, and to keep out of reach of children.
Doctors agreed it was a chemical burn from the Borax that caused the painful reaction on Kathleen's hands, as continued exposure to the substance made things worse.
Although Kathleen is expected to make a full recovery, she isn't able to do normal tasks, such as hold a pencil to write.
See more of Kathleen's frightening story here:
Siobhan wants other moms to know the dangers of making homemade slime, and that not every recipe is safe. Her message to other moms is one of urgency, as she doesn't want this to happen to any more kids. She urges others to know exactly what their kids are handling, so that a harmless after school activity doesn't turn into devastating burns.